Sleep Hygiene: Why Sleeping 8+ Hours is Not Overrated
Sleep Hygiene: Why Sleep Is Important
Sleep plays a vital role in our mental and physical health. According to the National Institute of Health, the lack of sleep or sleep deficiency increases your risk of obesity; it is also linked to an increased risk of heart disease, kidney disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, and stroke.
Sleep serves as our body`s way of getting relief from the stressful activities that we did throughout the day, during sleep our body system undergoes the process of development, an anabolic state (building or repairing tissues). Adults need at least 7-8hours of sleep per night, sleep patterns vary among individuals. It is also important to understand that the leading cause of insomnia among women is anxiety.
Having daytime sleepiness is a classic sign of poor sleep hygiene, if you are having sleep problems or frequent interruptions, evaluate your sleep hygiene or routine and make some changes.
Sleep hygiene is defined as the habits and behaviors that can help you get a good night sleep.
Healthy Tips for a good night sleep:
- Avoid cigarettes, caffeine and alcohol, they stimulate some parts of the brain and can cause insomnia.
- Maintain a regular sleep schedule or routine, meaning you have to go to bed and wake up at the same time
- Keep your bedroom and bedding comfortable. No TVs, No pets, cooler room and lights not as bright. The circadian rhythm is our internal clock that tells us when we should be awake or asleep. The circadian rhythm adjusts to light or dark, so a darker room will promote sleep.
- Exercise promotes sleep, cardio exercises help circulates endorphins.
- Avoid large meals before bedtime, especially spicy foods.
- Use your bed only for sex and sleep
- Go to bed only when you are sleepy, establish relaxing bedtime rituals. For parents, setting up a bedtime routine just like you do for your children is just as important.
Generally, sleep affects our daily functioning. For most individuals, following the basics rules for sleep hygiene will help them get better sleep. It is very important to seek help if you think you are suffering from insomnia: trouble falling asleep and/or staying asleep.
Reference: Sleep Association
By Dr Ade-Taku DNP
Dr Ade-Taku is Founder of MyLemBox, a starter pack to boost your natural fertility. MyLemBox consists of all you need when trying for a baby. All the products are carefully selected core essentials for any woman trying to conceive, every box includes a free gift. Get pregnant sooner with MyLemBook. Look inside the box @ www.mylembox.com, on Instagram/Facebook @mylembox and on twitter Fertility_Hub.